Starville Church Statement of Faith
Article III. Statement of Faith
1. We believe there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, who is the Maker and Preserver of all things visible and invisible.
2. We believe in the deity of the Lord Jesus Christ; that Jesus existed eternally with the Father, became Man by the miracle of the incarnation, in no degree ceasing to be God. He is co-Creator of the world and man, only Savior, and coming Judge.
3. We believe the whole canon of scripture (both Old and New Testaments) as originally given, to be the inspired and authoritative word of God, of supreme and final authority in all that it teaches and declares.
4. We believe that all men are lost apart from the saving grace of our Lord Jesus Christ; that sin is cleansed only through personal repentance and faith in the precious blood of the Lord Jesus Christ; that water baptism by immersion should follow receiving Christ as Lord and Savior.
5. We believe that the redemptive work of Christ on the cross provides healing for the body as well as for the mind, soul, and spirit of man; that Christ has an answer for every problem man has, physical or spiritual.
6. We believe that miracles and all gifts of the Spirit are available to the Church today for the edifying and perfecting of its members.
7. We believe that God will visit His Church in unusual ways and bring many multitudes into the kingdom before Christ’s second coming, for which cause we are preparing ourselves.
8. We believe that baptism of the Holy Spirit, evidenced by speaking in other tongues according to Acts 2:4, is promised to all who desire it, ask for it, and obey God.
9. We believe that everyone will be resurrected (saved and unsaved) and give an account to the Great Judge, whose judgment is final and eternal.
10. We believe that divorce and remarriage to another person is contrary to God’s will and purposes. Therefore, the pastor shall not solemnize such remarriages.
11. We believe that man should live a moral life according to the standards set forth in scripture. This includes: living a holy life; being full of love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, meekness, temperance and faith (Galatians 5:22-23). Therefore, we are opposed to: adultery, fornication, uncleanness (including sodomy, lesbianism, same sex marriages, bisexuality, bestiality, incest, pornography, and other forms of moral impurity), lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envyings, murders (including abortion and euthanasia), drunkenness, and revellings (Genesis 2:22-23; Matthew 19:4-6; Galatians 5:19-21; 2 Timothy 3:1-6).
12. We believe that God has ordained and created all authority consisting of three basic institutions: 1) the home; 2) the Church; 3) the state. Every person is subject to these authorities, but all (including the authorities themselves) are answerable to God and governed by His word.
13. We believe that every Christian, as a steward of that portion of God’s wealth entrusted to him, is obligated to support his local Church financially. We believe that God has established the tithe as a basis for giving, but that every Christian should also give other offerings sacrificially and cheerfully to the support of the Church, the relief of those in need, and the spread of the Gospel. We believe that a person has no right to direct the use of the tithe or offering once the gift has been given.